A single apple on a tree…the endless amount of options it could turn out to be. Sunny and crisp fall days turn into baking for hours. Smells of warming apples with cinnamon and nutmeg drift through the house, as pie after crisp after dumpling after sheet cake is removed from my mom’s prized double oven. ‘Apple picking day’ is my favorite day of the year. It typically goes hand in hand with my son’s birthday so to me, it is the perfect time of the year. I love the fall. I love apples. I love baking. And I love my son. Put those items together and you have one happy camper.
My favorite recipe to have evolved out of ‘apple picking day’ is the brown bag apple pie. This is an amazing pie for a multitude of reasons. 1. It is literally baked in a brown bag, at 425 degrees, for one hour, and the house does not burn down. (I promise!) 2. Two different crusts are featured, and neither are the ever so intimidating crusts you have to roll out! 3. To everyone that has tried this pie it has gotten the ‘best apple pie they have ever had’ comment. Not bad, right?
Make this pie for someone you love. Make it to comfort someone. Make it to remind yourself how perfect a fall day can feel. As a bonus, have a slice warm for breakfast. You just can not start a day any better than that.
- 1 & 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 TBS milk
- 6 large Granny Smith Apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 TBS flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened on the counter
- Mix all of the above together. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a pie plate.
- Core, peel, and slice all of the apples. Mix all ingredients together and pour into the bottom crust.
- Mix above together, it will be sticky! Pat the mixture of the top of the filing.
- Place pie in a brown paper bag, fold over to close, and place on a cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour at 425 degrees.
- Again, the house will not burn down…but I would keep an eye (or two) on it.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Moms in Focus: Meet Anne! - December 15, 2017
- Gift guide: For the sister that makes you laugh out loud with her texts - December 13, 2017
- Chicken Brunswick Stew - December 12, 2017