Ok, we get it – it’s hot. The news won’t stop talking about it. And you’re constantly reminded that it is as your steering wheel practically burns your hands as you’re trying to drive and your glasses fog up immediately upon stepping outside and the thought of wearing more than a swimsuit makes you overheat and you feel the need to apply deodorant roughly 3 times per day. So we get it. It’s hot.
So, what are we going to do about it?
My deep love for soups stems from it’s ability to warm me from the inside out. But how about cooling me down from the inside out? Hmmm. That’s where this soup steps in.
The inspiration for this soup stems from Ina Garten, but, I did modify it quite a bit based on taste. And it ROCKED! It was everything that was necessary for a sticky summer night. It chilled my throat on the way down and left me with a completely cooled off feeling. Like jumping in a pool, but for your appetite.
I served it with a dot of sour cream on top, which cut the harshness of the onions and garlic quite well and helped give the soup a smoothed out consistency. Also, to dip in for crunch, tortilla chips. This will be my go to lunch and dinner for as long as this heat wave lasts!
- 4 ripe summer tomatoes, cut into extra small chunks. L and I picked some up at the farm stand!
- 1 hot house cucumber, seeds removed and cut into extra small chunks
- 1 red onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeds removed and cut into extra small chunks
- 3 cups tomato juice (I used Campbells)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream, for garnish
- basil, julienned, for garnish
- tortilla chips, for the side
- Put everything in a big soup pot and set in the fridge to hang out for at least 6 hours - even better overnight.
I’m savoring this 99 degrees. Bring. It. On.
If you liked this post, check these out!
Latest posts by Courtney (see all)
- Roasted Bruschetta Salmon - August 30, 2018
- Four hour Bolognese - August 28, 2018
- Summer sandwiches - July 25, 2018
it IS boiling out! this looks so refreshing, will have to try. Thanks for the great idea
Absoultely beautiful photograph – do you do all your photography yourself? I want to try this recipe right now!
I do and appreciate the compliment, thank you – it’s a constant work in progress and I’m trying to learn!
It’s not fair that you can cook like this. I’m sure if I tired this it would be a mushy mess
Not at all! Just chop chop chop. While it ‘hangs out’ in the fridge it will acquire a more soup like consistency, which, is what you want!
Cooling from the inside out, love how you write.
I’m not a fan of cold soup, but this makes a perfect salsa!