Yes, another tomato based recipe because fresh tomatoes are everywhere! So let’s take advantage of them before they go from bursting with juicy sweet flavor back to a rubber like consistency – ick!
This is the PERFECT summer sauce. First of all, it’s fresh, light and healthy – second of all it literally cooks itself! There is some chopping work involved up front but you get to throw that all together in a bowl and forget about it. So get your chop on early in the day and get out and run those errands or relax at the pool. Know that at home the garlic and the salt are doing all the work – literally drawing out the flavors of the tomatoes and basil until you can almost taste the sunshine that grew them.
Where you go with this sauce is up to you – I tossed it with some whole wheat spaghetti and topped with dots of fresh ricotta and shaved parmesan. Another dose of fresh basil on the top for good measure. And it was divine.
- 1 pint fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 orange sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 9 basil leaves, julienned
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil - the best you have!
- Toss all together in a bowl and let sit out for at least 4 hours.